The Pioneer Alumni Association is dedicated to the promotion and welfare of Wichita West High School, the preservation of its traditions of excellence in education, sports, community service, and the advancement of its stature in the Wichita area. The Association seeks to connect West High graduates, West High students, and their parents with each other and the school.
The Club believes that an active alumni association, is the primary instrument by which to advance these principles. The purpose of the Club shall be educational, charitable, and philanthropic.
Dennis Rees '71 President
Bonnie Mills '66 Secretary
Linda Roe '66 Treasurer
Who We Are
We have been busy getting organized! We are oficially the West High Pioneer Alumni Association, Inc. On August 4, 2015 we received our Certified Articles of Incorporation from the Kansas Secretary of State! On August 12, 2015 we officially filed Form 1023EZ with the IRS to recieve our 501(C)3 status as a public charitable organization which will allow our benefactors to deduct 100% of their donations from their income taxes.
Carol Beat '66
Steve Roe '65 Joyce Huntsperger '6X
Nancy Coleman 'XX Nunie Coleman 'XX
Becky Sinclair 'XX Donna Hayden '64
Junior Spilker 'XX Mike Wilson '6X
Mike Phipps '6X Mike Miller '6X
Lyndon Drew 'XX Danny Northrop 'XX
Bob Norton 'XX Clinton Koker '6X
Max Patrick 'XX Denise Sorensen '70
Bill Reagan '6X Steve Mcintosh '6X
In September 1953, Wichita West High School opened. The West Wichita Community Council started campaigning for a high school west of the Arkansas River in 1925. Twenty years elapsed before plans for a vocational-technical school started. Development of these plans resulted in an academic school now classified as a comprehensive high school by the North Central Association.
The school was designed by architects Glen H. Thomas and A.B. Harris, which served as the prototype for the later construction of Wichita High Schools South and Southeast. By the third year of operation, West added 25 classrooms and in 1971, the building was surrounded by 24 portable units. The enrollment totaled to nearly 2,000 students by 1959, which meant that the faculty had to be doubled. A new library media center was added in 1976 and the existing library was renovated. In 1979 Wichita High School Northwest opened which caused the enrollment at West to decrease.
The first graduating class erected a memorial to the Pioneers of the West. In 1969, a group of art students and their instructor created a sculptured relief mural in fired clay, 20 feet long and 15 feet high, outside the school office. The cast bronze-effect mural illustrates mathematics, art, music, drama, social studies, science, industrial arts, language arts, home economics and business curricular areas.
In 1988 and 1989, alterations were made to the cafeteria and several classrooms. In the fall of 1988, all ninth graders were moved to high schools. The enrollment has leveled to an average of 1,500 students.